Food and Beverage Ontario is a not-for-profit, leadership organization dedicated to advancing the interests of Ontario’s food and beverage processors.
Our focus is on the success, prosperity and growth of the food and beverage processing sector. We work collaboratively with our colleagues and partners across the agriculture and food sector.
Ontario’s Food and Beverage Processing Industry Strategy I The New Engine of Ontario’s Economy (here is the link http://foodandbeverageontario.ca/uploads/resources/files/ontarios-food-and-beverage-processing-industry-strategy-the-new-engine-of-ontarios-economy.pdf ) is our guide to a more competitive and coordinated industry – you spoke, we listened.
In June 2015, FBO released its Food and Beverage Ontario’s 2015 Annual Report, Nourishing and Growing Ontario (here is the link http://foodandbeverageontario.ca/uploads/resources/files/annual-report-2015.pdf )
Ontario’s Food and Beverage Processing Industry
The Ontario food and beverage processing sector is a critical contributor to Ontario’s provincial economy:
- The sector generates $41 billion in revenue, provides over 130,000 direct jobs and exports $7.6 billion in product annually.
- The food and beverage processing sector generates another $24.1 billion in indirect economic impacts.
- Food and beverage processing revenues grew 5% from 2010 to 2012.
- There are close to 3,000 food and beverage processing businesses in the province.
- In 2012, food and beverage processors comprised the second largest manufacturing sector in terms of value of shipments and employment in Ontario.
- Ontario has the 2nd largest food and beverage manufacturing sector in North America.
- Food and beverage processing is the first customer to farmers, with Ontario-based food processors buying about 65% of food-related farm production from farmers.
- Food and beverage processing businesses and their impacts are distributed throughout the different regions of Ontario.
- The food and beverage processing sector is developing, new, high quality products that improve the health and wellbeing of people.